Thursday, December 29, 2011

Baby's First Christmas.

It spurred in my mind special moments and memories to be made. A perfect picture of our son in his Christmas sweater smiling big next to our perfect Christmas tree. Making tins of beautiful Christmas treats for neighbors, family, and friends. Ezekiel unwrapping his very first Bible.

And so, as our first Christmas season with baby Ezekiel unwrapped itself, I was a little perplexed to find our tree pre-maturely dieing before I had a chance to shoot that perfect photo. Myself, sick as a dog, even in the hospital, and far too ill to make those Christmas goodies for our friends. And one over-tired, cranky baby on Christmas Eve, just a little too unhappy to enjoy unwrapping his Bible.

Things aren't always how we picture them in our minds.

Sometimes, they are a little more messy. Sometimes, a bit more complex. Sometimes, not quite ideal. But sometimes, these are the unexpected necessities of life. They teach us that life will go on without perfection, and that is just fine.

Sickness and weakness teach us of our need. I can't do it all, especially when I am too weak from illness to even pick my crying child up from his crib. I have need.

This need teaches me that it is ok to accept help. Even, to ask for help! It's healthy, in fact.

It wasn't exactly on my Christmas wish list, a night in the hospital after a simple stomach bug rapidly sent me into my first adrenal crisis, a fatal condition if not treated right away with emergency doses of my medication. the Church body is so dear. As our friends responded as soon as we called, on their way to watch our little boy as we went to the hospital. This is how the Church works, and it is incredible.

I'm thankful for that this Christmas. Things may not have unfolded as ideally as I had them laid out in my mind. But in my heart, they turned out far better. We have had 5 full days to spend with our family, the one we get to see less often. Ezekiel even met his Great Grandpa and Grandma Lynum! This time was precious for us. I didn't get that perfect picture of my little boy. Instead, I got a couple handfuls of priceless ones.







2 comments:

  1. Wise beyond your years! I know so many who, having reality smack down their expectations like yours were would in response fuss and fume and rant and rave and 'Woe is me'. Your and Gray's perspectives are so well focused on the blessings, rather than focused on the problems.

    GREAT pictures, I loved seeing how happy and excited Great grandpa and grandma were to hold and play with Zeke. I'm glad you got to spend a good chunk of time with the family, making memories!

    ReplyDelete