Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving is:

My favorite day of the year. This year I am overwhelmed. Not that in prior years I did not have reason to be overwhelmed; most certainly I did. Maybe it's just that this year I've taken time to be overwhelmed. Yesterday morning as Zeke was fast asleep in the next room, I sat down to my journal and cup of coffee. I took the opportunity to embrace some silence. Silence is unique in that it offers both rest, and challenge. Rest from noise, from distraction. Challenge to consider what is always present but drowned out by the frenzy of life. I sat in the tiny kitchen in the house my parents rented for all of us for Thanksgiving vacation. I stared out at the woods in back, and listened to nothing but the absence of noise. I began to think upon all that I have to be grateful for. I cannot begin to fathom all that the Lord has done for me, and all that He has given me.


Thanksgiving is: The giving of thanks. The giving of thanks because I have received so abundantly, so richly,so completely all that I need, and that which I desire.

Thanksgiving is:

My family

  This bundle of joy, love, laughter, smiles, that face which makes me melt, a gift of grace, a miracle.






Silliness


Great Food


 My family, and our outrageous traditions






Beauty. The beauty found outside. God's creation, so present, so abundant, so pervasive.


Christ died for me. He died to save me. To save my husband. To save my son. To save all of those I love. To save every individual in this world. Because His love is GREAT! We have so much to be thankful for, and I am overwhelmed just to begin to think about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment